The bride’s wedding dress is arguably the most iconic piece of a wedding. While attending a wedding, guests anticipate what the bride will look like and what kind of dress she is wearing. As a bride, you must choose a dress that is both beautiful and comfortable. You do not want to buy a dress just because it makes you look skinny. You have to remember that you will be in this dress almost all day for the wedding ceremony, pictures, reception, and everything that falls in between. You are going to be moving around all day, so you want to find a dress that complements your body, but is comfortable at the same time.
Here are some ways to flatter your figure with your wedding dress at wedding.theknot.com in an article by Hollee Actman Becker:
You have a big chest, big hips, and a thin waist (that is, curves in all the right places).
- Wedding Dress Dos: An A-line wedding dress with a dropped waist will show off your figure; pair it with a sweetheart neckline to show off your chest. Or for something a little more curvaceous, try a fit-and-flare gown like a mermaid or trumpet style
- Wedding Dress Don’ts: A ball gown or Empire-waist silhouette may make you look disproportioned.
Your body is naturally proportioned, except for the small distance from your ribs to your hips.
- Wedding Dress Dos: A Princess-line silhouette — fitted at the bodice and opening up gradually to a full skirt — elegantly elongates your figure; if you love your shoulders, try a portrait or halter neckline. A slightly dropped-waist gown will also lengthen your torso.
- Wedding Dress Don’ts: A sheath will make your short waist more obvious.
Same as above, but instead of a short waist, yours is undefined: The line from your shoulders to your hips is straight.
- Wedding Dress Dos: An Empire-waist wedding dress will deemphasize your waistline and give you a long, lean look.
- Wedding Dress Don’ts: A Princess-line or basque waist will draw too much attention to your middle.
More voluptuous than most, you’ve got full breasts, a bit of a tummy, and round hips and butt.
- Wedding Dress Dos: A ball gown wedding dress will hide quite a bit, and an A-line silhouette looks great on everyone.
- Wedding Dress Don’ts: A sheath will make you look heavier than you are; avoid spaghetti straps.
Just like the fruit, you’re small on top and heavy on the bottom.
- Wedding Dress Dos: A basque waist or strapless ball gown will cover your bottom half and put the focus on your better half; an Empire dress will hug the tiniest part of your body and disguise your lower half.
- Wedding Dress Don’ts: A sheath, frankly, will be unflattering. A trumpet- or mermaid-style gown will draw attention to your bottom.
Short or tall, there’s not a whole lot of meat on your bones. You boast that certain kind of ballerina beauty.
- Wedding Dress Dos: A ball gown will make you look like a fairy-tale princess, and a sheath would be perfect for you.
- Wedding Dress Don’ts: Almost all silhouettes will flatter your figure, but stay away from portrait, off-the-shoulder, or halter necklines if your collarbone is too bony.
You’re probably not the star of the basketball team — you’ve got a tiny frame.
- Wedding Dress Dos: It’s best to keep it simple — when you’re small, a big, elaborate gown can sometimes look as if it’s wearing you rather than the other way around. A sheath or A-line dress will work well.
- Wedding Dress Don’ts: Almost all silhouettes will flatter your figure, though a big ball gown may overwhelm.
“Keep in mind that while your weight may fluctuate between the time you buy your gown and the day of your wedding, your actual body type will remain the same. So even if you’re planning to drop 20 pounds before exchanging vows, choose the gown that fits your body type today.”
You should beautiful in the dress that you wear during the most important day of your life. Be sure that the dress is in your price range and is something that will give you positive, enjoyable memories when you look back on your wedding day. No matter what, this is your day and your dress, so make sure your dress fits your personality and makes you happy.