Style Selector
Layout Style
Boxed Background Patterns
Boxed Background Images
Color Scheme

How to Get A Marriage License

Wow thirty days of information but we have one thing that you must absolutely have…. the license!  Every county is a little different so make sure you check with your local county clerk.

Illinois requires a 24 hour waiting period so if you are getting married at 2 PM Saturday afternoon do not wait until Friday at 3:30 to get your license!  You must go in person to obtain a license.  Appointments may be required check with your county.  You must obtain the license from the County you are getting married in.  If you live in Peoria and are getting married in Champaign you guessed it you have to go to the Champaign County Clerk’s Office.  The fees vary from County to County but the basic requirements and documents needed are basically the same.

What you need to know about getting your Marriage License:

• You must obtain your Marriage License in the County where you are getting Married.

• You must not be related.

• An appointment is needed. If you do not have an appointment, you may have to wait or come back at an appointed time.

• The appointment for an application is not the same as the marriage ceremony. We can only give you your license so that you may get married.

• We advise you set your marriage date prior to making an appointment with us.

• If you are getting married by a Judge, you will need to make arrangements by calling the county Clerk’s Office directly to make an appointment

• The license is valid the following day, there is a 24 hour waiting period and is good for 60 days.

• You will need to apply for a marriage license in person. The marriage application process will take approximately 20 minutes.

• The cost will be between $20.00 – $50.00 CASH ONLY. If license is lost or damaged, there is a replacement fee amount depends on the County.

Both the Bride and Groom must be present.

• A valid driver’s license, state issued ID, or passport is required for identification. Authorized English translation must accompany all identification that is not U.S. issued. Please note, your ID must be in good condition, any chips or cracks will cause the ID to be invalid.

• If you are a minor (meaning a person 16 years of age or over, and under the age of 18), you must have parents’ or legal guardians’ consents, and they must be present. If both parents are not present, one parent must verify that the other parent cannot be found. A blank consent form is available in this office.

• If either the Bride or Groom has been married before, they will need to know how the marriage ended. If it was dissolution, we will need to know the date and county, and/or state of the dissolution. You will have to have a copy of a divorce decree or death certificate if you were married before.

• You will need to know your parents’ addresses and the states where they were born.

• You will need your social security number. (If applicable)


• No blood tests are required in Illinois.

• Anyone can receive a copy of your Marriage License but only the Bride or Groom may obtain a copy of the Marriage Application.

• You will need certified copies of your marriage license to change your name on your Social Security Card, Driver’s License, and possibly several other places. You may prepay for these copies during your marriage license appointment. When they receive the signed marriage license back after the ceremony, they will mail you the number of copies you requested.

Here are the local County Clerk Offices you will need.

Mclean County

McLean County Clerk’s Office, 115 E Washington Street, Room 102,Bloomington, IL 61702-2400

Champaign County

Office of the County Clerk

1776 E. Washington Street. Urbana, Illinois 61802

Peoria County

Peoria County Courthouse at 324 Main Street, Room 101, Peoria, Illinois

LaSalle County (Starved Rock) 707 County Highway 20, Ottawa, Illinois

So, you are getting married.  Keep it in perspective.  Enjoy the moment!

2011 Margaret Moore,
Want to use this article in your E-zine or website? You can as long as you include this complete statement:

Event Planning entrepreneur Margaret Moore with Simple Elegance Events and Wedding Designs publishes this weekly e-zine. Get your FREE  “My Dream Wedding without the Nightmare”  at

Leave Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Start Planning Today!